Poetess thought.




iOBSERVE GROUPS
------------------

Good day fellow group members. I hope you slept well. Anyway, the reason why I subscribed for one day is to take a peek at what's going on lately on all the groups, pages and whatever it is I have joined on social media.

I am just going to state my itching eye observations:

1. As writers of all genres of literature, I have realized a lot of us
don't take out time to support one another truthfully, except for a few.

2. Even when this support comes like a slice of cake, most of us don't take it seriously because it looks cheap, and thus the individuals involved make a mockery of the outstretched arm.

3. I said 1 and 2 to point to 3. A lot of young up and coming writers today don't like being critiqued (cynics have scared them into their holes). Criticism is one aspect that makes a learning writer grow. Swallow the hard pill with humility. You may not agree with some things stated, but take what's beneficial, keep working and get better.

4. Now, I know we all get very excited as to showing our fellows what we've written because it looks good to you. Why don't you just take a second to pause and ask yourself "Why does this look good to me alone?" The idea of posting is not entirely a bad thing, but cultivate the habit of showing and ask your friends questions about what you've written. If they have opinions, write them down and ask another question "Why does it resonate with or does not resonate with you?" You'll get a "Because...bla bla bla" Take note of this, then move back to your work.

5. This part is what irks me sometimes. Although I fault in this area sometimes. But I have noticed it is a trend, so i quit it. It is called the 'Post-Against-Post Subconscious Act Technique'. What I mean is, many poetry members of their various groups do not adhere to common sense rules, whether it is stated or not. Once a member posts a link or a poem or work of fiction, hoping that someone will read and talk about it to generate a discuss, almost immediately, another member posts something against that post. I then wonder why such should happen. Most times I wonder if that is a conscious counter post or the subconscious acting this way. Post-against-post is a bad thing for groups (my opinion). It shows that members don't regard themselves. Less of unnecessary chats would enable members to catch up on what they missed without having to read hundreds of messages that don't add up. That is how come brawls start up, and certain members don't appeal to them... I will stop for you to think about it.

6. This one concerns me and anyone one who loves their faith in whoever. Less is more. Sometimes I just want to defend my faith, so I go about yapping just to convince someone? No, I'd rather go out there to do a one-on-one evangelism to preach the gospel. Because, most times, it is difficult to convince someone online and in a group with what you have so believed in. If you must preach, pray for everyone in your group to one day receive what you have received. Like I said earlier, 'Less is more'.

7. How often do you take out time to call a member of your group? Do you know their birth dates? Can you boldly say you have a friend in them? Have you one day wondered why they are the way they are? I have had time when calling (till date) was a habit. This is just a way to get close. I must commend founders of these groups who establish this relationship. Don't say it's not your business. It is, because, if these members don't step in, your group won't mean anything. Members should also show appreciation. Cultivate this member-member, Admin-member relationship. It will go a long way.

8. Are you constantly being uncouth with your response to someone's opinion or post in the group? Trying to prove to people you are a ' literary hard nut' won't buy you a piece of land in Wole Soyinka's Forest where 'Trespassing cars will be shot and eaten'. Don't try to prove to 255 members that you are the 1 trigger in the room. Learn to approach certain things with niceness. Now, when someone writes you'll sense the person's tone of voice (as though you can hear it), it all depends on your mindset and how to respond. Don't make the other person feel like you are too high on a mountain of books that you probably read and only understood 65% of what's written within. People learn every day, and they make mistakes too. Instead of darting on that person to make a public show, go privately and chat nicely. It will remove the brand 'hard nut' from your forehead. Be nice.

9. If someone offends you, write a poem or any other literary genre concerning that person's action towards you. Have you ever read something like this "I am a writer, whatever you say will be written in my work". You can deal with the person there. Don't come displaying any form of wahala. Be civil. Be wise.

10. When writing anything for the entire online/offline populace to read, consider your audience first. Carve a niche for yourself that they can easily identify with.


These are not rules, but few observations amongst the trailer load of many more.

I hope we learn a thing or two from these. I am also in the growing process. I love you all.


(C) Edwina 'Neofloetry' Aleme
#iOBSERVE
#ThoughtsOfAPoetess
#OnlineGroupObservations
Poetess thought. Poetess thought. Reviewed by Caleb Bresh on September 23, 2016 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.