Not too young to love (episode 6)


Mr Steve was a different teacher, so different that the whole school feared him more than any other teacher, even more than the Vice-Principal. If Mr Steve punished a student on the assembly ground and the Vice-Principal told the student to get up and go to his classroom, the student would
refuse such freedom and would prefer to stay on the punishment, that was how frightened we were of him.

One particular Friday evening I had lessons with him during our prep. I had my Mathematics book and calculator with me and when the prep was over I forgot them on the table.

¶° Story from √ focuswap.com.ng

When I got upstairs I realized I had forgotten them but I was too lazy to go back downstairs and I thought to myself I would still have the same Math lesson tomorrow afternoon, why bother.

On Saturday Mr Steve called me for lesson and told me to bring my textbook. I walked happily to the hall to get them where I had left them and to my surprise they were gone. I started to panic, my heart raced fast simultaneously as my hands went all sweaty. What would I tell Mr Steve? Who could have taken my textbook and calculator. This could not be happening I told myself. I felt like a goat who was about to be used for ileya festival- helpless!

Vanessa came back from school exhausted.

After having a lecture spree with practical, she had to stand in the BRT queue for almost an hour before the bus finally came. What a day, she thought to herself.

Moments later, the weather changed unexpectedly. Vanessa wished it wouldn’t rain because she hated walking under it. At times, her friends would tease her calling her Salt.

The rain fell heavily down on the city. It drummed noisily on the roof and windshield of the bus. Vanessa frowned. Rain drops slipped through the window and made her wet. She just hoped the rain would stop before she got to her bus stop. Today of all days and I’m neither holding an umbrella nor a shower cap. Vanessa hissed.

She raced out of the bus when it came to her stop. The cold rain plastered her clothes to her body. Shivering, she boarded a Keke without asking for the price. She patiently listened to the rain beating on the Keke, splashing in puddles and a journey that could have taken her ten minutes lasted for thirty minutes.

Vanessa went straight to her room when she made it home. She took off her drenched clothes and went straight to have a warm bath. She came out and saw her sister was still in the kitchen and she took out her laptop. She was thankful they had power as she logged into to Facebook. She searched for Nathan Ugochukwu as she usually did every day since he left Nigeria.

And this time, Vanessa couldn’t believe the search result that popped up. She freaked out.

“Seriously! After all these years, I finally have a result!” She told herself excitedly.

“But there’s no profile picture and I can’t even view his info. How am I sure he’s the one now, ‘ehen?’” She hissed.

“Okay, let me just attach a message to the invitation.”

“Hey, Nathan, this is Vanessa Badmus, we were in Jss1 together. I’m not sure if you remember me and if you’re not the person I think you are, I’m sorry. I guess we can be friends on Facebook then…”  Vanessa had an awfully busy week and hardly found time to go online after her last message to the person she hoped was Nathan.
Not too young to love (episode 6) Not too young to love (episode 6) Reviewed by Caleb Bresh on March 29, 2017 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.