Not too young to love (episode 3)


Pre- Senior Secondary School was over and we had two weeks till school resumption.

Preparation started: new school shoes, sandals, bags, hostel wears, plates and provisions. One nice Sunday afternoon after church service
, a family friend who also happend to attend my school called me aside and told me our hostel master has resigned. He did that during the holidays and now we are looking forward to a new one.

I was happy not because I didn’t like our hostel master but because till they got a new one we would be free as birds to do whatever we liked. Just then she told me they had found a new hostel master; Mr Steve would be our new hostel master she told me. I actually felt my heart skip a beat (they say that isn’t possible but at that moment it was).

Mr Steve? I thought to myself, immediately I felt cold from within like a person who has just been thrown under the rain on a cold cold night, literally. I felt my life was going to come to an end.

Unfortunately I didn’t know this was just the beginning of the end for me.Mr Steve? I murmured. This wouldn’t be good I thought to myself, why and how would they choose such a man out of all the teachers in the whole school, the man we were all afraid of. (I guess that was their idea). Nevertheless I told myself I would avoid every confrontation with with and nothing would make us meet eye to eye.


We laid down in the hostel and told tales of our holiday while we, new seniors exercised our powers. I also got to know that most of them were as shocked as I was when they heard the news. A friend said she was home with her younger brother and prepared indomie fried plaintain with egg and had a bottle of coke to step it down, her younger brother asked her to prepare his but she refused and told him to prepare it himself and as she was about to take a fork of her delicious delight she got a call and then the cat was out of the bag. Immediately her appetite was lost and she passed her food to her brother who jumped for joy. Other experiences were told and we laughed at them.

My first class in the first session on the second day of resumption was chemistry, I was tensed. During the assembly my heart beat was almost as loud as the drum when we sang the national anthem, at times I wondered if they were actually playing the drum or it was my heart doing that for them. As the assembly grew to an end my hands started to sweat, yes I did that alot when I got nervous.

I packed my notes and textbooks from my locker and headed to the chemical laboratory along with my other classmates. Our chemical laboratory wasn’t that big but was of a miniature size, two tables overlaid with tiles adjacent to each other. The first table was were I sat, way at the back with a friend of mine.

Now the class started and Mr Steve asked us to name laboratory wares aside from the one he wrote on the board. It was my turn and I said “Round bottom flask” . I felt him stare at me for about 10 seconds then he replied “Are you blind or you need glasses haven’t I written that on the board?!”

Actually I was blind and needed glasses because my eye sight was as terrible as a bad flying during the day. My first class and I was humilated that way (how annoying), he made me sit in front, well still I managed to see the board clearly.

After classes Josh smiled at me. I was a little bit confused. Did he smile at me just to make jest because of the incident in chemistry class? Or he smiled because he was glad we were in sciences? Guess I was about to find out.
Not too young to love (episode 3) Not too young to love (episode 3) Reviewed by Caleb Bresh on March 26, 2017 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.